What is umphafa and what is this trip all about?
UmPhafa is a private nature reserve in South-Africa, with connections to Colchester Zoo. On my two-week trip there, I will be volunteering at the reserve, thus helping protect wildlife and nature and further research in several different fields.
Who am i?
My name is Siril Grini. I'm a third year English Literature (BA) student, originally from Norway. I'm 21 years old, and I love travelling (despite my fear of flying), nature and volunteering, which is why this project appeals to me in every way!
I'm going to africa????
Yes, I am going to Africa! South Africa, to be more precise. I'm going to volunteer at the UmPhafa nature reserve, where I will be helping conserve nature, as well as further important research.
This begs the question, why am I going on this trip? For one, I have never been outside of Europe, and am eager to experience a different culture and country. Secondly, I strongly care about the environment and the conservation of nature. The Earth sees too much destruction at the hands of humans, which is why I want to be one of the people to give something back and help take care of our planet and the other creatures that live here.
By supporting my project, you will contribute to the fulfillment of one of my dreams, as well as help me develop new skills and a more global outlook. More importantly, you will be supporting the running of the UmPhafa nature reserve, helping with the conservation of threatened species such as giraffes and leopards.
Find out more about UmPhafa here .
Where will the money go?
The money is going to fund different costs of my trip, including:
- The flight from London to South-Africa and back: £700-900
- Programme fee (accommodation, food, excursions): £750
- Personal kit, vaccinations and other personal expenses: £250+
Any money that is raised above the expenses I need for the trip will be donated to UmPhafa to help further their work!
Whether you donate a small or a large amount to my project, I've got some pretty wild rewards, so please consider checking them out and donating to get your hands on them!
want to follow me on my adventure?
- My travel blog (which will contain preparations, pre-trip thoughts and musings, updates from the trip itself, and afterthoughts)
Help me go wild!
How can you help me get to Africa?
- Donate: If you would consider making a donation of any size, I would be eternally grateful!
- Share: Share my project anywhere! Tell your nan and your grumpy neighbour, share it on Facebook, Twitter or even by email! If you are sharing on social media, feel free to use the hashtag #SirilGoesWild
- There is no need to donate anything if you aren't able to, but if you do you will help me help our planet and go on the adventure of a lifetime!
Have you sponsored this project? If so, log in to comment on updates!
The project creator has not yet posted any updates yet.
Alumni of the University of Essex matchfunded £700
generated 33 clicks
generated 22 clicks and donated £10.00
generated 4 clicks and donated £50.00
1 anonymous donation of £200.00