our project - A short summary:The Essex Blades Korfball Club is raising £400 to pay for external coaching hours - this will massively improve the skill sets of our members- and as we're still a new club (in our 4th year!), we still have a lot to learn. If we reach our higher target of £650 we can send 3 of our lucky members on a Level One Coaching Course, to help promote coaching internally and assist new players!
What is Korfball?
Korfball originates from the Netherlands, the word 'Korf' is simply Dutch for basket. Korfball is similar to basketball, netball and handball, but with a unique defending rule which makes the sport equal as height is irrelevant.
Teams consist of eight players, four male and four female; two of each gender in each section. The court consists of two large squares joined along the centre line and in each square there is a 'Korf'. Korfball is the sport of the future, based on cooperation and gender equality.
Players can only be marked by an opposing player of the same gender, with all actively participating in attack and in defence. Once the section starts the game in attack, the other in defence, but players swap roles after every two goals.
Korfball: Friendship, Teamwork and Equality
Essex Blades Korfball Club was established 4 years ago in 2013. Since then we have progressed from just one team in the Norfolk league to two, and our first team has been moved up into the 2nd league, with our very own captain currently holding top scorer for our league! Our BUCS team have progressed to the Trophy competition, which is higher ranking than the Plate competition we competed in 2 years ago. All of our players show great potential, on and off court! We're in our 4th year now, and we have come a long way since Helen first founded the club. We want to keep up her amazing efforts to introduce Korfball to the University of Essex! Korfball is a fun, an equal opportunity sport, and we would like to introduce and involve as many people as possible to the sport. Our volunteering officer David Shonoiki (who joined the club this year) has organised many volunteering projects including ParkRun & Colchester Food Bank, and now he is our Derby Day 'One to Watch' and competes on our first team!
Where will the money from HUG go?
The money raised from this project will go towards funding the following costs, making Korfball more accessible, and allowing every member to progress in sport:
- £400 for a minimum of 20 hours of coaching from an external coach
- £60pp for a Level One Coaching Course (if we reach our higher target)
- More coaching from an external coach - External coaching provides a better insight to players as coaches can easily assess and teach players on areas that need improving. Our current coach Ben has massively helped new players develop difficult skills in Korfball and we are extremely grateful for all his efforts coaching us! As we are ever growing we need an extra hour of coaching each week. Coaching costs approximately £15-20/hour, and we look to cover the costs of 20 hours (£300-400)
- If we surpass our target, we would like to send a member on a week long coaching course out on by EKA (England Korfball Association), where they will train under the supervision of England coaches and alongside England players
- Level One Coaching Courses - we aim to send at least 2 members on this course to help others in training sessions, this course costs approximately £60pp .
- Updates on our Progress? If you would like to see how we get on with this funding follow us for regular updates on twitter at @essexbladeskorf or our Facebook page (links below!)
We have some fabulous rewards to thank everyone who donates, whatever the amount you might give. Check them out and see what's on offer for all your help :)
Find us here
How to Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! By sharing our project you are supporting us! The more people who hear about our project, the more chance we have in succeeding!
- Although you don't need to give money to help the project, we would love you if you did! Any amount will be hugely appreciated, and all our members love training so you can guarantee some smiles there! :D
- If you can help promote our project in any way, please do! If you have any queries feel free to drop an email to Jasmine .
- We can't wait to see what we can achieve with the outcome of this project - Back the Blades!!!